Friday, July 5, 2013

There is hope

It's the day after Independence Day and I find myself thinking about hope. I have been doing a lot of family history lately and I like to imagine that my ancestors traveled to America because they were driven by a hope that some aspect of life would be better.

For example there is Lizzie and James. Living in England they found each other through their new faith, the restored truth preached by missionaries of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, and fell in love. They wanted to be together forever, not just until they died, and they wanted their children forever, not just until the grave claimed them. They knew the best hope for that was to be sealed, not just for time, but for eternity, and they knew that opportunity was only available in the temple. So they bid farewell to their families and made the ocean voyage, and then the long journey across America to Utah, a dessert in the middle of no where that wouldn't even become a part of the United Sates for another 15 years. She was 17, he was 20. The year was 1881. They had an eventful trip but arrived in Salt Lake City and were married in the Salt Lake Endowment House June 9, 1881.  Their hope was well rewarded as they had a good long life together and had 15 kids!

The thing is, Lizzie and James didn't just sit around and hope, they got up and put their hope into action.  I think America is inhabited by people who not only had hope, but got up did something about it. I believe that I am genetically encoded, thanks to generations of good sturdy people from all over the world, to not only be hopeful, but to get off my well padded bottom and get going. I like that!

"For our sakes, no doubt, this is written: that he that ploweth should plow in hope; and that he that thresheth in hope should be partaker of his hope." 1 Corinthians 9:10

or as Audrey Hepburn said:


My granddaughter, Liberty Dale, was named after her Uncle Dale who was killed in Afghanistan. He was an American soldier who believed everyone should be able to live according to their hopes and dreams.

"For there is hope of a tree, if it be cut down, that it will sprout again, and that the tender branch thereof will not cease. Job 14:7

From Lizzie to Liberty, the seed of hope is handed down. Plant it, nurture it, water it, put it in the sun. Let hope grow.

1 comment:

  1. Amen. And isn't it interesting how many of us are suddenly up to our necks in family history? I find it a little astounding. Maybe it's just that Family Tree is actually satisfying and fun to work with (unlike its predecessor) - but maybe it's something else. I have been doing nothing but research now for over two months, as if my life depended on it. Interesting, indeed.

    I love the way you bring these articles home. WHO TAUGHT YOU TO WRITE? And you have, I think, identified one of the cancers at the heart of a weakening nation - that people think it's enough to hope, so much so that they morph hope into demand, hands out, sitting on those padded bottoms with mouths open and upturned. As though being free means having someone supply all you hope for, while you do nothing but consume and complain. I'd love to have seen the saints try THAT as a way of getting across the plains. HA.

    YOur daughter bears a significant name. A heavy burden; a great motivator.

    ReplyDelete